Long Island Honda Dealer | Queens New & Preowned Cars
For our Honda owners, Bay Ridge Honda stands ready to help you with your maintenance needs. There are things owners can do to inspect and even perform simple maintenance tasks to keep their Honda in top running condition. We will summarize some tips below to help our owners keep track of maintenance items.
- Squealing sound and brake wear indicators — your Honda is equipped with brake wear sensors which will tell you when the brakes need service. You will hear a squealing sound from one or more brakes when you apply pressure to the brake pedal while the Honda is moving. If ignored the screeching sound will become more frequent as the brake pads continue to wear.
- Brake fluid — The brake fluid reservoir is located in the engine compartment and is translucent so you can see the fluid level. Low fluid can be a sign of a leak, so have the brake system inspected if you notice the brake fluid level is low.
- System flushing — Brake system flushing to remove old fluid can be performed by knowledgeable owners, but only use Honda-recommended fluids. Other brake fluids can cause corrosion and damage the system.
- Gasoline choice — Detergent gasolines are needed to keep the Honda fuel system clean. It is recommended to use “Top Tier” gasolines from reputable suppliers to provide the maximum benefit to your fuel system and engine.
- Sulfur odor — All gasoline contains sulfur compounds and can be detected by the human nose in low concentrations. These sulfur compounds can pass through the catalytic converter and be noticeable, particularly when the engine is cold. If you notice a stronger odor, try buying gas from a different supplier who may have lower sulfur levels.
- Summer/winter fuels — Fuels are changed in climates where temperatures drop to lower levels to provide better cold weather starting. In the same way, high-temperature areas may receive summer fuel blends better suited for hot weather. Using one season’s gas in a different season should not cause problems but should be used up quickly so you can get the proper gasoline formulation for the current season.
- Additives and engine damage — Some fuel additives like MMT can damage your engine and emissions system. Though rarely found in the US, avoid dealers that use them. Alcohols and ethers can be added to fuels to reduce emissions, resulting in “oxygenated” fuels. Some levels are acceptable but never use highly oxygenated fuels like E85 in your Honda.
Important parts and fluids
- The timing belt is a critical part and failure can damage the engine. Have it inspected and replaced at the intervals recommended by Honda and found in your owner’s manual.
- Air filters protect the engine and the passenger cabin environment. Have them inspected and replaced as needed using Honda-specified replacements.
Honda uses specific fluids in their vehicles including long-life coolant, low viscosity oils, and specific brake fluids. Don’t replace fluids with generic products not designed for Honda systems. Using them can cause damage and void the vehicle’s warranty.
- Follow Honda recommendations for towing the vehicle, using the Honda to tow other vehicles, and load capacities to prevent damage to the vehicle. Specifications and capacities can be found in the owner’s manual.
If you have any questions about maintenance or use of genuine Honda parts, come to Bay Ridge Honda and speak with our parts or service professionals. We are always happy to answer your questions and can provide maintenance and repair of your Honda whenever you need it.
Easy Related Posts
How Often Do I Need an Oil Change?
It's a question car owners are always asking, but the answer varies depending on who ...read more
Prep Your Honda for the Winter Ahead!
Winter is a difficult time for your vehicle. With slick roads and freezing conditions, your ...read more
When Does My Honda Need Service?
Brooklyn Honda Service | Long Island Vehicle Maintenance After you've made a Honda purchase, you want ...read more
8 Winter Car Care Tips
NY Winter Car Care Tips | New York Preowned Honda Here at Bay Ridge Honda, we ...read more